Orders of Assistance to Obtain Custody of a Child Held in Violation of a Custody Order

Oregon courts allow a person who is entitled to have physical custody of a child to ask the court for an order of assistance so that a peace officer can help return the child to the rightful custodial parent.

The application for an Order of Assistance may be filed in any Oregon county in which the child is located if the person filing is entitled to physical custody of the child under a currently valid Oregon court order.  If there is not a currently valid Oregon court order, a person may apply for an Order of Assistance in any county in which a valid custody order from another state or country has been filed.

Please note: An Order of Assistance is NOT for enforcing parenting time or visitation rights. Other legal remedies are available in those situations. Learn more about this ›

If you believe you need an Order of Assistance and would like the help of an experienced family law attorney, please contact us to set up a telephone or video conference consultation.


Contact Us

if you would like to schedule a telephone or video consultation with one of our attorneys.

Jonathan Trause

(971) 245-7636  

(503) 710-9057

Please note: Due to technical issues, we have had trouble receiving messages in the past, however, these issues have been fixed. 


Tapestry Family Law

810 NW Marshall Street

Suite 300

Portland, OR 97209